Supporting Babies and Families Impacted by Caregiver Mental Health Problems, Substance Abuse, and Trauma: A Community Action Guide, a new publication prepared for the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) by ZERO TO THREE, presents resources that service providers, advocates, and practitioners can use to better understand and engage their communities in responding to children whose caregivers are negatively impacted by mental illness, substance abuse, or trauma.
The Guide contains five sections:
- Section 1 focuses on the importance of early development, highlighting recent findings about how the brain develops.
- Section 2 examines the latest research on how toxic stress can harm brain development, and how toxic stress can occur in families struggling with mental health problems, substance abuse, and a history of trauma.
- Section 3 looks at how to build a sturdy foundation for the very young children in communities.
- Section 4 provides a six-step guide for taking action.
- The Appendices offer lists of organizational resources, hotlines, screening tools, and tips on how to evaluate your efforts.