Below is a letter from Helen Blank, Director of Child Care and Early Learning with National Women’s Law Center:
Remember the beloved children’s book Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
Like many of us, you’ve probably read it 100 times. Maybe even 100 times in one night!
But to recap, Brown Bear saw a lot of things on his journey in the woods.
Now it’s time for a new story to be told — your story. The story of what “you see” when you see high-quality early learning in action. This is a story you already know — the story of how high-quality early learning can transform individuals, classrooms, even entire communities.
Here is what we are looking for:
- Stories from teachers participating in state-funded prekindergarten programs, Head Start and Early Head Start programs about a child (or an entire class) they taught that benefited from being in a high-quality early learning program.
- Stories from early care providers about the positive impact that high-quality care has on a child’s development.
- Stories from elementary school teachers who have seen how high-quality early learning has prepared students for success.
- Stories from parents who have seen their children develop critical skills by being in a high-quality early learning environment.
- Stories from nurse practitioners and other professionals who provide voluntary home visits to support families about the positive impact they had on a particular family.
And these are just some of the examples. The stories can come in many forms — they can be a paragraph or a page; they can be about literacy, math, social emotional, and other early learning skills.
We’re gathering hundreds of stories, and will deliver them in a “Brown Bear, Brown Bear”-themed book to key Members of Congress, as part of the Strong Start for Children Campaign to support President Obama’s bold new early learning initiative. We want to show Congress what high-quality early learning can accomplish for children and families.
After you send your story, please show your support one more way — by forwarding this email to your friends, family, and networks. We can’t wait to hear your story!
Thanks for your participation.
Director of Child Care and Early Learning
National Women’s Law Center